What is that snack food that you can easily fall snack on during SOS hunger or craving moments? For some, it’s Pizza. And for some, it’s dark chocolate. The list is endless. Talk about potato chips, cheese balls, plantain chips, and so on. But then, what if the snack you love suddenly becomes off-limits and experts say it’s bad for your health? What would you do? Isn’t it somewhat mean to be deprived completely of something you love? But what if the thing you love can kill you someday? That’s the challenge many of us have with food. We seek to strike a balance between healthy eating and enjoying our favorites. It seems Avocado crisps is right in the center of that balance. It is one of those few snacks that will please your taste buds without compromising your health.
The healthiest snacks are those that would help you reduce your sugar and salt intake. They are those snacks that won’t give you too many calories if you eat them in moderation. They are the snacks that will deliver nutrients to your body. Many people can’t do without chips and crisps. But it is hard to find healthy, nutritious, and delicious crisps. Those 3 combinations are hardly present in crisps. For example, fried crisps may be delicious and nutritious. But the oil type in which it is fried may make it unhealthy. How long it was fried also matters. So you see that a lot of things come into play here. Avocados crisps are sure delicious and nutritious. But you must pay attention to the recipe and cooking procedure to ensure that it stays healthy. This snack is rich, yummy, and plain delicious.
Avocado Crisps Calorie Content and Other Nutrition Facts
Here, we are will use 30g serving as our standard serving size. This should contain about 11 to 12 average-sized avocado crisps. This serving size will give you about 140 calories. 90 calories of these will come from healthy fat. It contains no Trans Fat or cholesterol.
This serving size should give you 470mg sodium, 1g sugar, and 2g dietary fiber, and 5g protein. You should also get minimal amounts of vitamins A and C, as well as calcium. Avocado crisps are low-carb (each serving contains only 8g), Atkin-friendly, and cholesterol-free.
You may wonder how long it will take you to burn 140 Calories off. Here are different ways:
- Walking for about 40 minutes (at 3mph)
- Running for about 13 minutes (at 6mph)
- Bicycling for about 19 minutes (at 10mph)
- Cleaning for about 47 minutes
Note: However that these values are estimated for a person of average weight (140 lbs.)
Easy Recipe Ideas
This is a simple recipe for making Avocado crisps. You only need about 5 minutes of prep time and 40 minutes of cooking time.
You will need the get the following ingredients ready:
- A large piece of ripe avocado
- 75 grams of Parmesan (freshly grated)
- A teaspoon of lemon juice
- One-half tsp. of garlic powder
- One-half teaspoon of Italian seasoning
- Freshly-ground black pepper
When you have the ingredients ready, you can begin to make the crisps. Here are the directions to follow:
- Preheat your oven to about 150-170°C and use parchment paper to line 2 baking trays.
- While the oven is preheating, mash your avocado in a bowl (medium size) until it is smooth. You can use a fork to do the mashing.
- Stir in lemon juice, Parmesan, Italian seasoning, and garlic powder. The season the mix with pepper and salt.
- Heap up a teaspoon on the mixture and place each scoop on the baking tray. There should be a space of about 3 inches between each of the scoops.
- Flatten the scoops to almost take up the gap. This means that the width of each scoop when flattened would be about 3 inches across. You can do this with a spoon (use the backside).
- Now you can bake until it becomes crispy and golden. This should take about 30 minutes.
- Allow the crisp to cool completely. Then, serve the avocado crisp at room temperature.
One thing to keep in mind is that Parmesan is very vital in this recipe. So don’t try to cut down the amount recommended. If you do, your chips would be soft. What makes the avocado crispy is the Parmesan (dry cheese). So make sure you use the exact amount recommended and spread it evenly across your batter.
Is This a Healthy Snack?
Avocado is healthy. Before, it used to make a scarce appearance on people’s tables. But nowadays, it has become commonplace. Avocado, and its many products, is now one of the staples you will find on store shelves across the country.
Why did people begin to eat lots of Avocado? Why did people become so interested in avocado products, including avocado crisps? It is simply because of the health benefits that this amazing food can deliver. Some of them are as follows:
1. Nutrition value
There are about 20 minerals and vitamins in Avocado. So they deliver great nutritional value. They also contain fibers and healthy fats (MUFAs).
2. Hunger control
Avocado crisp will help you to curtail hunger. This is because the snack will fill you up. And when you have better meal satisfaction, your desire for more food (or hunger) will be lower. Experts say that one serving of Avocado can last a person for about 5 hours before they feel hungry again.
3. Healthy weight management
This goes in line with hunger control. When hunger is under control, you will eat less. This means you will be consuming fewer calories. And this, in turn, means you can lose unwanted weight. More so plant-based fats, as you find in Avocado can help you shed off weight.
In summary, Avocado crisps are healthy snacks. And you can make them in less than an hour. They will satisfy your palates and fill you up, while also delivering nutritional and health benefits.